I thought that the stonking summer plumage Red-throated Pipit that we went to see yesterday was worth a mention.When Clive contacted me about going I must admit I was most surprised. Clive tends to get dizzy and have a nose bleed at the mere thought of venturing north of Matlock but mention it he did. We arrived mid afternoon in what was a fairly pain free drive up there. The spot was found with relative ease and we parked at the side of the road with the other 20+ cars.
Within a few minutes we were on the bird.....and what a bird. I always thought that if and when I do see a Red-throated Pipit it will be in autumn and will be either a juvenile or a drab adult. But this is in full summer plumage and what a smart bird it was. We watched it for a while happily feeding and totally undeterred by the increasing crowd.
I cracked off a few photos and thoroughly satisfied we left. And right on cue the birding gods decided to throw in a brief storm so we hot footed it to the car with rain pelting down with thunder and lightning to boot. The photos aren't the best but they clearly show what it is.
Bloody hell whats up with clive going on a twitch haha
ReplyDeleteI know, I was amazed he suggested it.
ReplyDelete